Pages

Monday, June 20, 2016

Spinach Banana Blueberry Muffins - Crazy Ingredient Challenge



Each month we vote for the ingredients that will be used for our Crazy Ingredient Challenge. This means that, some months, the winning combination may be pretty straightforward or it could leave me scratching my head. This month's Blueberries and Spinach combo is closer to the scratching head part of the spectrum. Spinach and blueberries seem to pair naturally in salads. But I definitely did not want to make a salad. People seem to like them in smoothies too. I didn't want that either.

After tossing a few other ideas and realising time was running out, I decided on popsicles. I got the idea in the middle of the night and could picture beautiful two-colour popsicles - maybe even swirls. It sounded great until I remembered that I did not have my popsicle molds. So it was back to my default each month - something with flour.

These spinach, banana, and blueberry muffins aren't bad. I was actually pleasantly surprised. I am not going to lie to you and tell you that you cannot taste the spinach. You definitely can!! It's not a strong flavour but it's there - barely masked by the bananas. I could have played with the proportions some more but it's a spinach muffin! I wasn't trying to hide the spinach and it certainly is not an unpleasant taste.

Scroll down to see how the other challengers used the ingredients this month!




Spinach Banana Blueberry Muffin
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 oz spinach (by weight)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup banana
1/4 cup oil
2 teaaspoons vanilla
1 cup blueberries

Directions

Grease and flour the wells of a muffin pan. Preheat oven to 350 F.
Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg.
Blend the spinach, milk, brown sugar, banana, oil, and vanilla until smooth.
Gently stir into the flour mixture being careful not to overmix. Fold in the blueberries.
Divide the mixture evenly among the muffin wells.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.




3 comments:

  1. Muffins didn't even enter my mind Kelly, great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny Kelly, we had the same idea with the muffins. I went with lemon instead of banana. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the combo and use them daily in smoothies and salads. I like the Popsicle idea! I think this combo you did would work well. I'm thinking about scones next.

    ReplyDelete